Acquire the knowledge, skills and inspiration required to investigate, develop and implement creative placemaking projects in your community. Explore a range of creative placemaking strategies, including: the development of cultural districts and creative industry clusters; public art; cultural flagship development and artists’ space projects; and festivals and events.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- describe the definition and practice of creative placemaking and discuss a broad overview of general placemaking concepts, approaches and practices
- summarize a range of key issues and themes related to place, culture, and community
- have a rich understanding of and be able to discuss strategies for space and creative placemaking that have been successfully implemented in the US, Canada, internationally
- develop and describe a clear, compelling project vision for a creative placemaking project designed for a specific location
- understand the diversity of approaches that can be used to develop creative placemaking in different locations and contexts.
"Without reservation, I obtained what I hoped I would from this course: resources, tools and a broader understanding and methodology of creative placemaking in an international - and local - context. Additionally, I have now connected with other cultural planners."
-Fall 2012 Creative Placemaking Student
Instructor: Pru Robey
Standard Fee: C$800 + C$50 for course readings.
Registration closes Sept. 2, 2013
This course can be taken individually for professional development or applied to earn the UBC Certificate in Cultural Planning - an online professional learning program offered by the UBC Centre for Cultural Planning and Development.
The format of this course is 100% online. Courses are structured to provide a positive learning environment for participants to engage in and interact with the content and class discussions. In an online course, additional time for individual study and reading is required to review the course material for assignments. Instructors facilitate throughout the course and are available to provide feedback via email and through discussion forums. This course involves an average of 10 to 12 hours of study per week.
View course offering below and select the applicable fee. Then add it to your shopping cart.