Take your creative work to the next level and carve out the space and time you need to focus on your writing.
The UBC Award of Achievement in Creative Writing teaches you creative writing and narrative theory and gives you the chance to explore various genres of creative writing while honing your skills for publication or creating a portfolio for applying to an MFA program.
- Delivered in class, 100% online, or in combination
- Requires completion of three eight-week core courses followed by at least two electives in a genre of your choosing, including an advanced-level course
- Costs approximately $2,390
- Applications accepted on an ongoing basis
View program information by opening the sections below.
Open all | Close all
This program is presented by a team of award-winning writers and experienced instructors. It is designed to help you:
- develop skills in writing in a variety of genres
- employ techniques for creating believable characters, convincing dialogue, realistic settings, and other vital aspects of creative writing
- demonstrate understanding and analysis of story forms and genre conventions; use these tools in all types of writing
- gain confidence in and skills for participating in workshops and feedback sessions.
Who It’s For
This program is designed for students who wish to seriously pursue the craft of creative writing in the context of specific projects or in preparation for a fine arts program.
The UBC Award of Achievement in Creative Writing consists of three required courses and 40 hours of electives (two or more courses, one of which must be a genre- or form-specific course). Courses are available online or in class, and the program can be taken 100% online if students choose. Students will be assessed based on class participation and appropriate completion of work assigned.
A high-speed Internet connection is required to take this program.
UBC Continuing Studies strongly suggests that students have the following technology and expertise in order to keep up with the program and complete projects and assignments online:
- familiarity with basic Internet applications (email and web browser)
- a recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or other web browser.
Your computer operating system must meet the following minimum specifications:
- PC: Windows XP SP2 Home/Pro
- Mac: Mac OS x 10.4
To be granted the UBC Award of Achievement in Creative Writing, you must successfully complete all required coursework and achieve a minimum of 75% in all coursework.
Study theory and various genres of creative writing while you work on your own projects. Receive detailed feedback from instructors and peer feedback from classmates as you hone your craft.
To receive the award of achievement, you must complete the coursework within 16 months of acceptance into the program.
Foundational Skills Courses
You must complete both of the following foundational skills courses:
Plus choose one of the following
|Visual Storytelling (AW853)||Online||Jul 4-Aug 25, 2017||More|
|Fiction: Examining and Using Story Structure (AW698)||Online||Jul 4-Aug 25, 2017||More|
You also must complete 40 hours of electives (two or more courses, one of which must be a genre- or form-specific course). The following are some of the upcoming recommended electives, but a full list of personal and creative writing courses currently available can be viewed here.
|Elective Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Writing Your Non-Fiction Book (AW531)||Online||
Jul 4-Aug 25, 2017
|Fantasy Fiction (AW854)||Online||
Sep 26-Nov 17, 2017
|Film Writing: Introduction (AW508)||Online or In-class||
Sep 26-Nov 17, 2017
|(AW556)||Online or In-class||
|Novel: Introduction (AW577)||Online||
Jul 4-Aug 25, 2017
|Television Writing Basics (AW814)||Online||
Sep 26-Oct 20, 2017
Fees are paid on a course-by-course basis and total approximately $2,390 based on current course prices. A one-time non-refundable $175 administration fee is due upon acceptance into the program. Fees are subject to change. Course fees include all course materials.
All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, MasterCard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
Cancellation and Withdrawal Policies
Part-Time and Online Courses: If you would like to withdraw from a course, in order to be eligible for a refund (less a $50 administration fee), please submit written notice at least three business days before the course begins. An email is considered adequate written notification. No refund will be made for withdrawals received later than three business days before the course begins.
UBC Continuing Studies is sometimes forced to cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment or other reasons. If this occurs, you will be contacted by email or by phone and provided with a full refund.
The admissions process helps to ensure that the needs, intentions and expectations of participants are adequately matched to the program's objectives and capabilities. To accommodate learners from a variety of backgrounds, the admission requirements for the UBC Award of Achievement in Creative Writing are fairly broad. However, all applicants must have the following:
- High school diploma
- Non-native English speakers may be asked to demonstrate a score of 570 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL exam (88 or higher on the Internet-based TOEFL), or equivalent English language proficiency test results
How to Apply
You must apply and be accepted into the program before registering for courses.
Applications are accepted year-round. Applicants are advised to apply at least three weeks before they wish to start the award of achievement program. A non-refundable program application fee of $175 is required in addition to the application materials, payable upon acceptance into the program.
All courses are priced individually and tuition is due at the time of course registration.
Complete the following steps to submit your application:
1. Complete the online application form. You will need to include a letter of intent (max. 500 words). This should include personal and/or career goals, interests and program expectations.
2. Once you have been accepted into the program, return to this page to pay the $175 non-refundable application fee.
It may be possible to apply course hour credits for required or elective courses taken within the past year to the UBC Award of Achievement in Creative Writing. Please contact the program administrator for more information.
If you have questions about the UBC Award of Achievement in Creative Writing, please contact us.