Analytics, metrics, statistics, measurements—no matter what you call them, the ability to track data is one of the major business advantages of working in a digital environment. But it’s the analysis and understanding of those numbers that really drives business success.
The UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics provides solid grounding in how to create and manage a digital analytics program to drive measureable business improvement.
- Delivered part time, 100% online
- Take courses at your own pace over a two-year period, or complete all four courses within five months with the Intensive Program
- Cost ranges from C$2,500 to C$2,900
- Discounted fees for DAA members
- After this program you will be able to apply your knowledge and skills to creating a blueprint for navigating digital analytics business opportunities and challenges you may encounter
Open all | Close all
This award-winning program focuses on how to:
- analyze and understand the data generated by reporting tools
- make suggestions for improvements to the reports generated
- transform the information contained in these reports into actions the company can take to improve website visitor centricity and profitability.
Rather than step-by-step solutions, the program lays out the potential drivers of interactive behaviour and ways to examine them emphasizing critical thinking and discovery. Experience with a reporting tool is recommended before taking this program as the curriculum does not address the “hands-on” elements of working with a specific tool.
You will gain practical approaches to:
- assessing effective methods and diagnostic approaches used in digital analytics; weighing their pros and cons
- designing and tracking marketing or communication from initial entry into the website through to "conversion"
- optimizing conversions by analyzing website content for enabling, supportive or confusing messages
- applying the concepts of participation marketing and visitor segmentation to determine how different markets are responding to your content, leading to conversions
- analyzing click and navigation patterns to determine the best product or service mix as well as identify profit centres.
The UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics received the 2014 Outstanding Non-Credit Program Award from the University Professional and Continuing Education Association (UPCEA). This award recognizes a program which is original in concept and approach and its contribution to the field of continuing education. In addition, the UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics has also been a recipient of the Canadian Association for University Continuing Education (CAUCE) Program Excellence Award.
Who It’s For
This program is designed for marketing and IT managers, including digital marketers, web/marketing analysts, project managers, web developers, information architects, systems and business analysts as well as IT, e-commerce, finance, marketing and sales professionals interested in digital analytics.
To date, there have been over 1,200 graduates from 40 countries.
Students who successfully complete the UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics and take two additional courses from the University of California, Irvine Extension qualify for the the Web Intelligence Certificate.
Learn more about the field of digital analytics, the industry outlook, and job opportunities from a panel of industry experts and program administrators in this webinar.
You can take the program in one of two ways: the part-time program or the intensive program. Part-time students register for courses at their own pace and have two years to complete the four courses in the program. The intensive program allows people to complete the four courses in a five-month period.
- is delivered 100% online over four weeks
- involves an average of six to 10 hours of study per week
- includes reading case studies and white papers, as well as completing online reading, online discussions, assignments and projects.
You are assessed based on assignments and individual projects that have scheduled completion dates.
The program's content is provided by the Education Committee of the Digital Analytics Association (DAA), consisting of industry professionals and guided by experienced administrators of adult education programs.
Note: Taking the UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics courses does not guarantee CWA™ (Certified Web Analyst) certification, as hands-on experience is also required. Please see the Digital Analytics Association website for further details.
Register for the four courses at your own pace. You have two years to complete all courses in the program. The courses are listed in the recommended sequence.
|Introduction to Web Analytics*||4 weeks, online
(25 hours total)
|Web Analytics for Site Optimization||4 weeks, online
(25 hours total)
|Measuring Marketing Campaigns Online||4 weeks, online
(25 hours total)
|Creating and Managing the Analytical Business Culture||4 weeks, online
(25 hours total)
|Total - UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics||16 weeks, online (100 hours total)||18 modules|
*Note: The Introduction to Web Analytics course is a recommended prerequisite for the other courses in the program.
If you have significant digital/web analytics experience you may delay taking this course or substitute another approved course to complete the program requirements. You will need to submit a Prior Learning Assessment request form. The following are approved substitutions for Introduction to Web Analytics:
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Introduction to Web Analytics (IV201)||Online||
Jul 7-Aug 5, 2015
|Web Analytics for Site Optimization (IV203)||Online||
Jul 7-Aug 5, 2015
|Measuring Marketing Campaigns Online (IV204)||Online||
Jul 14-Aug 11, 2015
|Creating and Managing the Analytical Business Culture (IV202)||Online||
Sep 22-Oct 20, 2015
The Intensive Program enables you to complete the UBC/DAA Award of Achievement in Digital Analytics in a shorter time frame by taking all four courses within a five-month period. In addition to saving time, you also save over $400 off the regular program fee.
We also have a:
Note: There are no changes or substitutions of courses allowed with the Intensive Program.
|Digital Analytics Intensive Program (IV205)||Online||September 9, 2015 - February 3, 2016||More|
|Digital Analytics: Deutsches Intensivprogramm (IV206)||Online||September 11, 2015 - February 5, 2016||More|
|Programa Intensivo en Analitica Digital en Espanol (IV207)||Online||September 14, 2015 - February 8, 2016||More|
Guides the design of the curriculum and one of the main authors of the online content:
- Jim Novo, Drilling Down Project and Digital Analytics Association, Managing Director of Education
UBC Continuing Studies' online tutors are business professionals experienced in online adult education who provide online instruction and guidance on a one-to-one and group basis. The online tutors guide and grade through email communication as well as online discussions, assignments and projects to make sure that you get the most out of your learning experience.
- ALT Brian, Marketingexperiments.com
- ATCHISON Shane, Zaaz
- BATRA Anil, ZeroDash1
- BERRY Christopher, Co-Chair Research Committee, Digital Analytics Association
- BLAKELEY Robert, WebMD.net
- BOSILEVAC Thomas, WebTrends
- BOYD Jacqui, Acceleration - Digital Marketing
- BROCK Vicky, Highland Business Research
- BURBY Jason, ZAAZ
- CARLOS Sean, Antezeta
- CLIFTON Brian, Omega Digital Media Ltd.
- DAINOW Brandt, Think Business Services Ltd
- EISENBERG Bryan, Future Now
- FERNANDEZ Steve, Coremetrics
- GRAY Aaron, WebTrends
- HADLEY Loren, L. Hadley and Associates, LLC
- HASHEMI Brian, Crutchfield Corporation
- HENRY Ethan, Eloqua Corp.
- HOUSTON Ian, Visioactive, LLC
- HUMPHRYS Jim, W.L. Gore and Associates Inc.
- INAN Hurol, Hurol Inan Consulting
- KAUSHIK Avinash, Intuit Inc, Kaushik's Blog
- KING Jane, King680@comcast.net
- LEE Ed, Web Analytics Gateway
- LI June, ClickInsight Corp.
- LIEB Wayne, Acceleration - Digital Marketing
- LIVERSEDGE Steven, ICEtracks.com
- LLEWELLYN Marianne, Omniture
- MAGEE Gordon, Drs. Foster & Smith
- MAKIMAA Kelly, Idea Integration
- MALLEY Wendi, Idea Integration / Idea II
- MANSO Austion, WebTrends
- MARZOLA Marcelo, Predicata-Interactive Communications Intelligence
- MCBETH Brice, IBM Surfaid Analytics
- MCFADDEN Chris, Discovery Communications
- MCGLYNN Marianne, McGlynn Consulting
- MORTENSEN Dennis, Index Tools Inc.M.
- PARISH Cathy Callaway, Fry Inc.
- PAVACH Lee, ForeSee Results
- PHILYAW Ben, Digitaria
- RALLS Brandon, WebTrends
- SECARA Bogdan, NetBridge
- SEMAC Michael, Legal Helpers
- SHAFFER Jay, Wine.com
- STANSBURY John, Coremetrics
- STERNE Jim, Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
- TOLL Matthew, TESSCO Technologies
- TOMZ Brian, IBM Surfaid Analytics
- VAN NESS Paul, Physicians Laboratories Inc.
- WEIDNER Jeff, Illinois State University
- WIGGINS Andrea, Enlighten
Part-time course fees are paid on a course-by-course basis at C$725 each (C$640 for DAA members). The total program fee is C$2,900.
The Intensive Program Package costs C$2,500 for all four courses (C$2,400 for DAA members).
The DAA member discount applies to individual professional and corporate DAA members and requires a coupon code obtained through the membership section of the DAA website. Find out more about discounts and special program offers.
Note to DAA members: Coupon codes to receive your course discount have changed effective May 29, 2014. Please view the DAA member webpage for details.
All students are expected to possess strong written and spoken Business English skills for participation in one-on-one interactions, group work, presentations, projects and assignments and in electronic communications. Non-Native English speakers may be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting the results of language proficiency tests and may also be subject to an interview prior to admittance. Find out more about acceptable tests and minimum scores.
Students may register for part-time courses at their own pace, and complete all four courses in the program within two years in order to graduate. Registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Courses fill up very quickly, so please register as soon as possible to reserve your space.
Note: Once a session is full, no waitlist or further registrations are accepted. Please check our website often for last-minute seat cancellations and additional sessions.
For students taking part-time courses, once you have completed and passed the four required courses, submit the Graduation Request form to receive your Award of Achievement.
For students taking the Intensive Program, you are not required to submit a Graduation request form. Your Award of Achievement is issued upon successful completion of the program.