Even games with the most cutting-edge graphics and action will fail to deliver if the characters and storylines are not compelling. Develop your writing for interactive media and the gaming industry with this focused, hands-on, 100% online academy. No coding experience required!
Whether you have experience working in video games, designing narrative, or writing for other media, or are interested in learning new approaches to interactive storytelling, you will benefit from this program’s specific concentration on narrative, dialogue, writing for cut scenes, and character development.
Get an insider's view into the gaming studio system not found in other programs. Learn the writing and production processes used in game creation from an industry veteran, and understand the writer’s role on a game development team. You leave the program with a portfolio of game writing, and the confidence and know-how to pitch your work and gain a foothold in this dynamic industry.
- Delivered 100% online
- Requires completion of six courses
- Costs approximately $3,700
- Applications accepted on an ongoing basis.
Contact us to find out more.
Open all | Close all
This flexible, 100% online program gives participants the skills and tools needed to write strong, engaging plot lines and narrative for video games, including dialogue, backstory, storyboards, and world-building. You also learn the game creation process, how to plan and pitch your story, and how to work effectively in the studio system.
By the end of the program, you will be able to:
- understand how story complements gameplay
- storyboard your narrative
- create an original, immersive world for your game narrative
- create original and interesting characters
- develop unique voices for individual playable and non-playable characters
- make use of images to engage players and tell your story
- craft a story that will work with gameplay to create a strong final product
- write a creative bible
- plan and pitch your work.
Who It's For
The program is suitable for:
- recent high school or university graduates looking to enter the gaming industry
- those already in a gaming studio who wish to understand narrative or the writing process more clearly
- writers or communicators who want to improve their writing and narrative skills specifically for the gaming industry.
This program is offered 100% online; students register in individual courses at their convenience.
You receive feedback on each assignment and activity in the program; successful completion of courses and programs is determined by meeting the requirements outlined in each course.
An Internet connection is required to take this program, including the ability to play audio as some courseware may include voice lectures and/or video.
UBC Continuing Studies strongly suggests that students have the following technology and expertise in order to keep up with the program and complete projects and assignments online:
• familiarity with basic Internet applications (email and web browser)
• a recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or other web browser.
Your computer operating system must meet the following minimum specifications:
• PC: Windows XP SP2 Home/Pro
• Mac: Mac OS x 10.4.
This program consists of six courses, which can be taken in any order:
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Video Game Narrative (AW850)||Online||
|Writing Dialogue for Games (AW851)||Online||
Jul 4-Aug 11, 2017
|Visual Storytelling (AW853)||Online||
May 2-Jun 23, 2017
|World Building (AW852)||Online||
May 2-Jul 7, 2017
|Fantasy Fiction (AW854)||Online||
May 2-Jun 23, 2017
|The Working Game Writer (AW855)||Online||
Jul 4-Aug 11, 2017
A non-refundable $175 application fee is required, payable upon acceptance of your application to join the Academy. There is also a non-refundable $300 program fee, due before your final portfolio assessment in order to receive a certificate of completion. Individual courses are paid separately, on a course-by-course basis, at the time of registration.
All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, MasterCard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
Cancellation and Withdrawal Policies
Online Courses: If you would like to withdraw from a course, please submit written notice at least three business days before the course begins to be eligible for a refund (less a $50 administration fee). An email is considered adequate written notification. No refund will be made for cancellations received later than three business days before the course begins. UBC Continuing Studies is sometimes forced to cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment or other reasons. If this occurs, you will be contacted by email or by phone and a full refund provided.
You can apply for the Academy prior to taking courses, or after having taken any number of the required courses. Payment of your non-refundable program fee grants you a final portfolio review and certificate of program completion upon meeting all of the course requirements
Please note that English is the primary language of instruction for Writing Centre courses. All prospective students are required to have a minimum level of English. Non-native English speakers may be asked to demonstrate a score of 570 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL exam (88 or higher on the Internet-based TOEFL), or equivalent English language proficiency test results.
To discuss eligibility, prior experience and program relevance, please contact us.
Applications are accepted year-round. Applicants are advised to apply at least three weeks before they wish to start the academy. A non-refundable application fee of $175 is required, payable upon acceptance into the program. There is also a non-refundable $300 program fee required in order to receive your final portfolio review and certificate of completion.
Complete the following steps to submit your application:
- Complete the online application form. You will need to include a letter of intent (max. 500 words). This should include personal and/or career goals, interests and program expectations.
- Once your application has been accepted, we will email you instructions on how to pay the $175 non-refundable application fee and the $300 non-refundable program fee.