Behind every successful project is a skilled leader who effectively brings team members together to work as a cohesive whole.
The UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online program is designed for experienced professionals, project team leads and team members who want to build their knowledge and skills in project management to more effectively plan, collaborate and execute projects.
- Delivered 100% online
- The online program is designed for those who want a more flexible learning environment.
- Requires completion of the program within two years
- Aligns with the Project Management Institute, A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide). Courses are eligible for PMI® Professional Development Units (PDUs)
- Costs C$8,450
- Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis
- After this program you will be able to apply your knowledge and skill set to work as a project manager within your industry, ensuring timely and cost-effective completion of critical projects.
Open all | Close all
The 100% online format is for those who want a flexible learning environment.
The UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online can help you:
- fast-forward your career with state-of-the-art project management skills and techniques
- become a project management expert within your industry, ensuring timely and cost-effective completion of critical projects
- transition from project specialist to a leader of high functioning project teams
- enhance your performance and ability to contribute to the company's bottom-line results.
Learn to take a project from initiation through to planning, execution, controlling and closing, and develop the skills to:
- define the key project management concepts and terminology including industry standards set by the PMI® and the PMBOK® Guide Body of Knowledge
- identify stakeholder requirements and manage expectations throughput the life cycle of the project
- apply the project management processes (initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing)
- manage the competing demands for scope, time, cost, risk and quality while keeping on time and on budget
- identify solutions to project obstacles and constraints to keep projects on track
- set a contingency plan to mediate project risk
- manage project documentation and communications
- collaborate with and lead a diverse and cross-functional project team to success
- align project objectives to overall business goals and vision.
This program is not intended as a preparation for the PMP® exam. Please see our PMP Examination Preparation course for details on preparing for your certification.
Who It’s For
The program is designed for aspiring and experienced project managers, as well as project leaders and team members wanting to expand their knowledge and skills in planning, participating and/or executing projects. The program is relevant to a variety of industries including the high-tech, corporate, education, government and small business sectors.
The UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online is delivered through six online courses. You can take courses at your own pace or complete the program more rapidly by taking the Fast Track option. If online learning is new to you, you may want to read more about the online learning process.
As you progress through each course, you receive guidance and feedback from the online tutor assigned to the course. Online tutors are experienced facilitators with a wealth of experience in project management. In order to receive the certificate, you must complete all six required courses within a two year period. Online courses range from six to eight weeks in duration.
The online program includes lectures, learning activities including discussions, quizzes and exams, case studies, self-assessment exercises, and individual/team assignments/projects. An online tutor assesses assignments and participation.
To earn the UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online, you must successfully complete each course’s requirements, including team and individual assignments, and achieve a pass or grade of at least 60%.
The curriculum for the UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online program follows the PMBOK® Guide, industry standards and principles, while introducing a new perspective on project management that reflects today's changing world: project management as both an art and a science. You learn the "art" of project management (the Project Manager's Skill Set) and the "science" of project management (the Project Manager's Toolkit), and experience different views and approaches to the project manager's role and environment.
In order to receive the UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online you must successfully complete all six courses within a two-year period starting with Project Management Fundamentals. Providing prerequisites are met, it is also possible to take more than one course concurrently, if you can commit the time. Each course is delivered over six to eight weeks. The final capstone course, Applied Project Management, is a team project.
The required sequence for the Project Manager's Toolkit is to take The Project Manager's Toolkit: Project Initiation and Planning before The Project Manager's Toolkit: Project Execution, Control and Closing.
The UBC Certificate in Project Management - balancing the art and science of project management
The course material includes a detailed explanation of the concepts and terminology of project management and how to apply the appropriate methods to different situations. You are provided with templates, tools and techniques to use for project management activities and through online collaboration, discussions and team work, you work through a variety of individual and team assignments. You are introduced to Microsoft Project in the Project Manager's Toolkit and will use this software to complete some assignments. However, the Toolkit courses do not teach how to use the software. Prior experience in Microsoft Project is recommended.
Program Format Options
The UBC Certificate in Project Management 100% Online can be taken in one of two ways: regular part-time or the Fast Track option.
The UBC Certificate in Project Management 100% Online program comprises the following six courses in the suggested sequence. You may register and pay for courses at your own pace, but are required to complete all six courses within two years to be awarded the certificate.
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Project Management Fundamentals (IL810)||Online||
May 9-Jun 19, 2017
|The Project Manager's Toolkit: Project Initiation and Planning (IL811)||Online||
Apr 25-Jun 5, 2017
|The Project Manager's Toolkit: Project Execution, Control and Closing (IL812)||Online||
Jun 13-Jul 24, 2017
|Essential Skills in the Project Environment (IL813)||Online||
Sep 5-Oct 16, 2017
|Teamwork in the Project Environment (IL814)||Online||
May 2-Jun 12, 2017
|Applied Project Management (IL815)||Online||
Oct 17-Dec 11, 2017
- Project Management Fundamentals is a prerequisite for the other Project Management online courses. It may not be taken in conjunction with another online course.
- The required sequence for the Project Manager’s Toolkit is to take The Project Manager's Toolkit: Project Initiation and Planning before The Project Manager’s Toolkit: Project Execution, Control and Closing.
- Prerequisite for Applied Project Management is all five preceding project management online courses.
Fast Track Option
For students wishing to complete the UBC Certificate in Project Management 100% Online at a faster pace, the Fast Track offering enables you to complete all six required courses in approximately eight months. The Fast Track program consists of PM Fast Track 1, PM Fast Track 2, and a final capstone course, Applied Program Management. In addition to saving time, by taking the Fast Track program you also save $600 off the regular total program fee.
Due to the intensive nature of the courses, you should plan to spend an average of 10-15 hours per week in each course reading case studies, as well as completing online reading, online discussions, assignments, and independent study. Please ensure that your work, travel, or other responsibilities will not constrain your learning for the duration of the course.
NOTE: The PM Fast Track programs are only open to students who have not completed any of the courses within the PM track selected. There are no changes or transfer allowed to the Fast Track Program Package.
|Fast Track Courses||Length/Format/PDUs|
PM Fast Track 1
3 months (4 weeks per course with a one-week break in between each course/108 PDUs)
PM Fast Track 2*
2 months (4 weeks per course with a one-week break in between/72 PDUs)
*Prerequisite: Project Management Fundamentals (IL810) or Project Management Fast Track 1 (IL821)
Final capstone course to be completed after Fast Track 1 and 2:
Applied Project Management
8 weeks (48 PDUs)
Our online tutors and instructors provide a balance of academic instruction, foundation in applied skills and real-world experience, and they ensure that the program is comprehensive and dynamic. They are experienced professionals in the project management industry as well as knowledgeable and experienced in both adult and online education.
There is no fee to submit an application form; however, upon acceptance into the program, you are required to pay a non-refundable administration fee of $200. All other course fees are paid on a course-by-course basis.
Individual course tuition fees range from C$1,250-C$2,000. The total tuition (all six courses) for the online program is C$8,250, plus $200 administration fee.
Note: Fees are based on the current academic year and are subject to change. Deferral of program fees is not allowed.
Textbooks for the UBC Certificate in Project Management – 100% Online courses are not included in the tuition fees. You are responsible for purchasing your own books from either online booksellers, local bookstores or online publishers. Books are mandatory in order to complete online assignments and readings. View the list of books and readings required for all the courses.
Please read and understand the program handbook before applying to the program. The handbook contains detailed information about program curriculum as well as important policies, terms and conditions that you should be aware of.
If you would prefer to receive the handbook in the mail, contact us with your complete name and full mailing address.
The admissions process helps to ensure that the needs, intentions and expectations of participants are adequately matched to the program's objectives and capabilities.
To apply to the program, you must have the following:
- post-secondary education, or if a mature student, secondary school graduation with prior experience in the project management field
- a minimum of three years of work experience (while work experience is not strictly interpreted as project management experience, management experience in this area is recommended)
- a project management background gained through professional experience
- strong written and spoken business English skills for participation in one-on-one interactions, group work, presentations, projects and assignments and in electronic communications. Non-Native English speakers may be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting the results of language proficiency tests and may also be subject to an interview prior to admittance. Find out more about acceptable tests and minimum scores.
If you have read the program handbook and meet the admission requirements you can apply to the program by filling out and submitting an online application form.
An admissions committee reviews program applications, and will advise you in writing as to whether you’ve been accepted into the program.
To apply, complete the online application form and attach the required supporting documents. As space in the programs is limited, information on the application form and in supporting documents should be as thorough as possible so that the admissions committee will have sufficient information on which to base its decision.